BA; LLB (Monash)
Andrew Laird was articled to the firm Minter Ellison in 1990 and was a solicitor in the firm’s insurance and construction practices until 1992 when he joined the Victorian Bar. Mr Laird read with Peter Vickery (as he then was) now the Honourable Justice Vickery, Judge in charge of the Victorian Supreme Court Technology Engineering and Construction (TEC) List. Mr Laird specializes in complex technology, construction and engineering disputes and related commercial litigation and has appeared in numerous significant proceedings in major Commercial Arbitrations and in the Supreme and Federal Courts. Some of the more significant technology, construction and engineering disputes that Mr Laird has been involved in include litigation concerning:
- the tunnels of the multi-billion dollar Melbourne CityLink Project, which involved highly specialised geotechnical and structural engineering issues in the context of a major build, own, operate, transfer (BOOT) project (Supreme Court);
- the design and construction of a large private oceangoing catamaran, which involved marine coating technology and finite element analysis (Federal Court);
- the establishment of a major food processing facility, which involved mechanical engineering, industrial and Trade Practices issues (Federal Court);
- the remediation of contaminated land in the Melbourne Docklands precinct (Commercial Arbitration);
- the design and construction of waste water treatment plants in regional Victoria (Supreme Court);
- the Concession Deed of the Melbourne CityLink Project, which involved highly complex road and traffic engineering and financial modelling issues (Commercial Arbitration);
- the Mechanical and Electrical subcontract for the multi-billion dollar Melbourne EastLink road and tunnel infrastructure project (Commercial Arbitration);
- the repair and refurbishment of a float glass manufacturing plant (Supreme Court).
Mr Laird has acted for and advised constructors, proprietors, principal sub-contractors and design professionals. Many of the disputes that Mr Laird has appeared in have involved joint ventures and design and construct contracts and have raised complex programming and associated contractual issues including claims for extensions of time, prolongation and acceleration, as well as claims for variations.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation
Phone: +61 3 9225 7693
Mobile: +61 412 550 482Email: firstname.lastname@example.org