LLB (Hons); BEc (Hons in Accounting and Finance)
Nick Hopkins practices extensively in the TEC area and has been retained in many large and complex arbitrations and court proceedings. Nick graduated in 1988 from Monash University with a BEc (Honours in Accounting and Finance) and a LLB (Honours). He completed articles with Mallesons Stephen Jaques and worked at that firm and Baker & McKenzie (London and Melbourne offices) until coming to the Bar in 1995. Nick has appeared in numerous superior court trials and arbitrations. Some substantial matters include:
- acting for Toyo Engineering Corp in the ‘chess clock’ arbitration against John Holland Pty Ltd – an ICC arbitration conducted in Vancouver and Singapore in 1998 and 1999 regarding the Mobil Altona Refinery upgrade;
- acting for Fletcher Construction in the Supreme Court proceeding against LMM in 2000 regarding the design of the Laverton Maximum Security Prison;
- acting for Anaconda Operations Pty Ltd in the dispute with Fluor Australia Pty Ltd concerning the Murrin Murrin nickel project;
- this was a long running ‘chess-clock’ arbitration conducted in two phases from 2001 to 2004 with hearings in Melbourne and London;
- acting for Origin Energy in the ‘BassGas’ arbitration with Clough Engineering regarding the off and on shore development to exploit the gas reserves in the Yolla field in Bass Strait, which was conducted from 2005 to 2007 in Melbourne.
Nick has also acted for, amongst others, Abigroup, Adelaide Brighton, Baulderstone Hornibrook, Brady Constructions, Brookfield Multiplex, Delco Australia, Kvaerner, Krupp, La Trobe University, Leightons, Mayne Nickless, McConnell Dowell, Melbourne Cement Facilities, Shell, Transurban, the State of Victoria, Vicroads and various local councils and shopping centres. Nick is co-lecturer of the Melbourne Law Masters subject ‘Construction Dispute Resolution’ and also lectures to the Victorian Bar Readers Course about Commercial Arbitrations.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.
Phone: +61 3 9225 7229
Mobile: +61 411 154 685
Fax: +61 3 9225 6699Email: email@example.com