BSc(Hons), LLB(Hons), LLM (Commercial Law)
Andrew is a barrister with a commercial practice.
Most of his matters involve technology, engineering and construction, and therefore complex expert issues – both financial and scientific – and extensive documentary evidence. Those matters frequently involve areas of law including contract, professional negligence, corporations, security of payment, property, insolvency, equity and trusts.
Because of the nature of his practice, Andrew is regularly involved in trials, arbitrations and interlocutory hearings. Andrew is also regularly briefed to give advice and to prepare pleadings and written submissions for his matters.
Andrew uses technology and, where possible, conducts his matters electronically.
When he came to the Bar, Andrew read with Richard Attiwill QC, and his senior mentor was Mark Derham QC, now Associate Justice Derham of the Supreme Court of Victoria. Immediately prior to coming to the bar, Andrew was a dispute resolution lawyer at MolinoCahill Lawyers, specialising in large-scale construction, mining, infrastructure and defence projects. Prior to being admitted as a solicitor Andrew worked in the chemical sciences field.
Andrew is frequently briefed to:
- appear in and give advice in respect of infrastructure, commercial building and domestic building disputes concerning defects, variations, extensions of time and technical contractual and engineering issues;
- appear in and give advice in respect of judicial review applications, and assist in adjudication disputes, under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 2002 (Vic) and the cognate interstate legislation;
- appear in and give advice in respect of insolvency, restructuring and management disputes, including in respect of subcontractors, contractors and principals of building projects;
- appear in and give advice in respect of trade practices claims, particularly for misleading or deceptive conduct and unconscionable conduct, including in respect of subcontractors, contractors and principals of building projects;
- appear in and give advice in respect of professional negligence disputes, including in respect of architects, engineers, surveyors, councils, contractors and principals of building projects;
- appear in and give advice in respect of insurance disputes relating to building projects.
Andrew is the Chair of Melbourne TEC Chambers, he is a member of the editorial panel of the Australian Construction Law Bulletin and he is also on the executive committee of the Commercial Bar Association. Andrew is a member of the Building Dispute Practitioner Society, the Society of Construction Lawyers Australia and United Kingdom and Resolution Institute.
Andrew is listed in Doyles Guide as a leading construction and infrastructure barrister.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.
Phone: +61 3 8600 1777
Mobile: +61 403 467 048Email: email@example.com