Fiona Cameron is an Australian barrister practising in international and domestic commercial and administrative disputes, with a particular focus on building and construction, complex commercial and taxation matters. In addition to representing clients in litigious and arbitral matters, Fiona has experience in relation to the conduct of investigative processes.
Fiona is recommended in Doyle’s Guides to Leading Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Junior Counsel, and to Leading Construction and Infrastructure Junior Counsel.
Fiona is a member of Young’s List Barristers and L21 Owen Dixon Chambers West in Melbourne, and William Forster Chambers in Darwin. She is available to accept briefs throughout Australia and internationally.
Some of Fiona’s recent matters have included:
- Acting for a public water authority in relation to a dispute concerning the design and construction of a recycled water treatment plant
- Advising in relation to international arbitral proceedings under Singaporean and Australian law concerning an LNG project
- Acting on behalf of the Plaintiff in a long-running contractual dispute in relation to a property development group, also raising issues of estoppel, alleged breaches of directors’ duties and conspiracy before the Supreme Court of Victoria, in a subsequent reference to an accounting Special Referee, and before the Victorian Court of Appeal and High Court of Australia
- Acting on behalf of a contractor in relation to a project for the construction and commissioning of wind turbine generators in regional Victoria
- Acting for a specialist communication systems contractor in relation to a dispute concerning a tunnel project in New South Wales
- Acting on behalf of a developer in an action against the Northern Territory in relation to a proposed large-scale residential development
- Acting for mining leaseholders and operators in relation to joint venture agreements and lease disputes
- Acting on behalf of a ships agent in relation to domestic litigation arising out of an international cargo dispute
- Acting for a local council in relation to a compulsory land acquisition dispute
- Advising in relation to CGT and Stamp Duty implications of property transfers
- Acting on behalf of a large construction group in relation to proceedings commenced by the liquidators of a subcontractor group of companies in the Federal Court of Australia
Before joining the Bar, Fiona was Associate to the Honourable Justice Pagone of the Federal Court of Australia, assisting his Honour in a wide range of commercial and public law matters. Prior to this, Fiona was an Associate at the Supreme Court of Victoria to Justices Davies, Bongiorno and Hargrave, where she assisted in matters in the commercial trial division and in criminal and civil appeals. Fiona was previously employed by Crawford Legal, an Adelaide-based boutique commercial and construction law firm.
Fiona holds a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) from the University of Adelaide, a Master of Public and International Law from the University of Melbourne, and a Diploma in International Commercial Arbitration from the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.
Phone: (03) 9225 6213