BE (Hons), JD
James is a former engineer who maintains a focus on technical, engineering and construction disputes at the Bar.
Prior to joining the Bar in 2016, James was an associate at Allens for three years in the construction disputes and commercial litigation teams. His practice included advising construction and engineering clients on complex construction and technical disputes and the administration of major projects. James was also involved in complex class actions, insurance disputes and product liability claims.
Prior to his legal career, James worked as a mechatronics engineer in both industrial and consulting environments. Mechatronics combines computer and software engineering, electronics and mechanical design. As an engineer, James was involved in the construction of a major arterial transport link and consulted in relation to the design, installation and commissioning of a diverse range of bespoke robotics in various industrial settings.
A selection of James’s matters include:
- Offshore LNG – acting for the owners of a $34b LNG project in relation to disputes with the pipeline contractor.
- Legislated construction progress payment claims – acting for the principal / owner of a $2.6 billion coal export terminal in relation to monthly payment claims made by the contractor under Australian Security of Payments legislation on a AS4204 contract and related EPC contract, including preparation of payment schedules, adjudication responses and engagement with engineering, programming and quantum experts.
- Maritime law – Disputes arising as to the seaworthiness and fitness for purpose of a commercial vessel following sale; acting for a prominent Victorian yacht club in relation to oppression proceedings brought by members;
- Building and construction matters – various commercial / industrial and domestic building disputes in VCAT relating to defects, quality, delays, costs; various standard form contracts, including AS2124, AS4000-series, HIA, MBC4;
- Disciplinary matters and associated administrative law reviews – Registered Building Practitioners, professional negligence of engineers and architects.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.
Phone: +61 3 9225 6225
Fax: +61 4 5006 5959Email: email@example.com